Monday, January 26, 2015

To Vegas and Back!

Hey everyone!!

This week has been a crazy one. I left with my old comp on Tuesday morning and we made the nice little four hour drive up to Vegas. I dropped him off because he was getting transferred and I was able to work with the Elders from my last area and use the Spanish that I haven't completely forgotten yet. I received my new companion and he is a brand new missionary from Hawaii. I picked him up at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday and the rest of the day we worked in my old area. The only bad part was that he doesn't speak Spanish, but luckily some of the people we saw spoke English. It was great to be in my old area and see families and investigators that had really meant a lot to me.

There was one family that I had been working with and when I left the mother and the son were preparing for baptism but the dad was still putting it off. When I was there this week all three had baptismal dates! That was so exciting. I was so, so happy! Also a big highlight of the time in Vegas was seeing my recent convert. I hadn't heard from him since I had been transferred. Since I was in his area, I went to tried to see him but he wasn't home. We had a meeting for new missionaries on Thursday and right at the close of that the elders from my last ward brought him to see me. It was so awesome. I was so thankful! I gave him a big hug and got to talk to him for a few minutes. It was great to see how his life has changed. He is even doing missionary work. He is still active and brings his grandchildren to church and has received so many blessings. I was so happy to see him. It really makes sense now when I read, "How great will be your joy when you bring but just one soul unto me." It truly brings that happiest joy in your life.

So my new companion had procured a bike from the mission home. When we needed to drive back to our area we put it on the rack, but we weren't able to lock it because the lock that came with it had no key. On the way home we stopped for dinner and then two hours later we stopped at a gas station to get a drink. I got out of the car and started walking into the store and then I noticed the bike rack was empty! I yell to my comp…”wait, where is your bike?” So I am sure somebody in Vegas stole it because I don’t think it fell off during the ride. That was a pretty funny experience. We were laughing about that one for a while.

We only had a few days to work in the area but we really saw lots of success and I really believe a lot of good things are going to start happening here. It is really exciting. We started tracting more; it’s not something that we do as a mission. The mission puts more of a focus on street contacting, but we walk around and knock on trailer doors and talk to people outside and it really works for us. That is where all the people are - inside their homes just watching TV or sleeping and so we have to go to them. I am excited for what the future holds and I hope I can be a good example to my new companion and train him well. We have a baptism this Saturday so that will be a great experience for him!

Hope you all have a great week!
Elder Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment