Monday, January 12, 2015

Bucking Bales...Bible Bashing

HOLA!!! QUE TAL?

I am just super happy! Doing the Lord’s work can be very hard at times and it’s not always a walk in an RV park (oh wait, maybe for us it is) but I am forever grateful for the opportunity I have to serve. The end of the transfer is drawing near and I just can’t believe how fast time really does fly.

This has probably been one of our best weeks in Quartzsite! The big shows are coming to town and lots of people are here. Unfortunately, most are only staying for 10 days, but we get to talk to lots of people and hopefully plant some nice seeds. When members from out of town see us they are so surprised there are full time missionaries in Quartzsite!

We finally got our main investigator to get a solid date for his baptism. His brother in law is coming down to baptize him and so he was able to get a hold of him and so hopefully in the next two weeks I will have my first baptism in Quartzsite. He has been an investigator for years and has just had a hard time deciding to get baptized and he says he doesn’t know why, but know he’s ready! He said he can’t wait another month. Some members live just up the street from him and they have a great time together. They really look after him. I just love the people and the members here and the way they look out for people-it is just truly amazing! And I am finally remembering some people’s names!

Another one of our main investigators is doing well; she’s sort of a ditz but we love her. She moved to another RV park so we helped her with that and taught her for the 100th time how to use her phone. I think she is finally getting the hang of it. But it was really amazing one thing that she said at Sunday dinner. She said she had gone to this revival thing at another church and that while she was there she just felt sadness and emptiness. But when she is with us and at church or with other members she said that she just feels something very different. It was great to testify to her what that was and I really believe she will be baptized and accept the gospel whole heartedly!

This week we also got to do a lot of service - even with a higher amount of lessons taught, we still were able to dedicate time to service. It was great! At the food bank a big truck from Phoenix came in and Carol (the head lady there) was so happy. We were able to help unload the truck and it filled up the whole warehouse. We also helped a lady load up a ton of bales of straw that they used to build a dumpster. The bales were all molding, but I liked being a farm boy for the time that we helped. The older guys there just kept saying how they used to be paid a cent a bale! haha And they probably had to walk uphill both ways to school!

I was also asked to give a training in one of our meetings on Tuesday. Studying for it was such a great thing for me. I really learned a lot as I prepared for it. One thing that I talked about was the power and authority of our calling. As missionaries we all have the authority because we have been set apart by priesthood authority, but the power depends on us. It depends on our diligence to follow our Savior and obey His commandments and the mission rules. And it just really struck me how much we can truly do when we have the power of our calling. I am really striving to have that spirit with me. I read in a talk this morning that an apostle said that he thinks the authority of the priesthood is outrunning the power of the priesthood. So basically we need to wake up and be better!! Everyone! But the talk was from a few years ago so maybe we don’t need to worry about that…but I am guessing it’s still probably true.

And a last little spiritual experience that I had was at a dinner appointment when I shared a quick spiritual message. I read a few verses from Doctrine & Covenants 121 about Joseph Smith when he was in Liberty Jail. I felt the spirit touch my heart and whisper to me that mine afflictions are but just a small moment and that all will be well as I endure them well as I read:

7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.

9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.

Joseph suffered so much for this world and I am doing my little portion. I know I will be blessed for it. So to all that may be in a time of need or that are struggling, read these versus again and imagine Christ saying them to you with open arms and let his enabling power, his atonement, heal you.
I hope you all have a great week!

Elder Clark
 

 



 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment