Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Fish That Got Away


Hola!!!
Yep that’s right; the fish that got away....all of them. We asked president today and fishing is a no go, so I will be gladly sacrificing that for two years!! That mean Elliot, JD, and Bishop you have got to pick up the slack for me and Dad send me some pics of giant pike!  

That was the worst thing that happened this week! We had a truly amazing week and lots of crazy stuff mixed in as well.

Today it is 50 degrees so all of Las Vegas is freezing, haha, but I like it a lot!!  
One morning, we biked over to a lesson and I had my bike parked on the rocks (most all of the houses have rock lawns) and our investigator didn’t answer the door. All of the sudden we hear this really loud hissing noise…and you can all guess where this is going...I visibly watched all the air leak from my tire in a matter of seconds. When I took the tube out the valve had erupted and the air flew out!! It was so flat that we couldn’t even walk the bike home, so luckily my comp is smarter than me and instead of me carrying my bike all the way home (it really wasn’t that far) we attached the two bikes so that only one of my wheels was on the ground. We got some pretty awesome looks from people.

Then, later that night we took a member out with us and, oh man, it was an adventure! We were on our way to our appointment and we got stuck in traffic. We were able to see that a car was stopped in the middle of the road with the hazard lights on so we pulled over and went to help. I knocked on the window (it was a sports car with tinted windows) and this young college age girl was in the driver’s seat, but she couldn’t drive it because it was a stick shift and she didn’t know how to drive a stick. She was just married and the car was all decked out, so I think it was a gift. She was super embarrassed and almost instantly our member says, “Well the missionaries can’t drive it, but I can!!” He jumped in the car and took off. So we followed him all the way until he could drop her off. Man, it was crazy. And then at our lesson, (he knew the family really well) he was talking to someone in the kitchen and eating food!! Haha He didn’t get the point of a member present lesson. So that was crazy and I had to yell into the kitchen to have him bear his testimony! He’s a great guy, we were just laughing. Hopefully we can help him stay in our lessons a little more. 

One of our investigators is getting baptized this weekend and he is a super awesome guy! I am so happy for all the wonderful people that I get to meet on my mission. We have one family that we are reactivating and the mom is a non-member. They gave us so much food this week. They told us they were going to make us lunch every day! People are so nice and loving towards missionaries. We also helped a guy with his car the other day and just talked to him. There are just really good people in the world so hopefully we can continue to work with these people and share the gospel with them.

We had a very interesting lesson where one of the priests from our branch had a really good learning experience. We went to one of our lessons and this lady always comes to church and loves church and the people, but she says she is not ready to be baptized. We had a super good, spiritual lesson which I felt really good about. We weren’t super pushy, but just trying to help her understand and act upon her faith.  The priest bore his testimony and asked her a question, and it got really quiet for a bit and then she grabbed her Book of Mormon and all the pamphlets and said, “Here-I don’t want this. Take them.” We were all shocked. Well after that, we salvaged the lesson a little, but almost worse than that, I had accidentally dropped my keys during the prayer and so I didn’t pick them up right away and I ended up forgetting about them after she flipped. Once we left, the priest felt really bad and we were encouraging him, but then I remembered that my keys were in there. We ended up calling her, but she didn’t answer her phone. We called many times and knocked on the door a whole bunch and she never answered. Finally she came. She had been in the shower, but we were all freaking out not knowing what was going on.

We also had Zone training meeting this weekend and it was super awesome! We were edified in both spirit and with trainings. And then that night at stake conference they talked a lot about hastening the work and what members can do. It was super cool to see what the General Authority had said last week and how the stakes and the mission all implemented it right away. 

On Saturday I was on exchanges and we didn’t’ know what apartment number our dinner was at. Elder Smith and I prayed and tried to start narrowing down where it might be and we couldn’t find it. We finally were able to call her and get the apartment number. Turns out that we had walked right by it and almost knocked there so that was a little funny. 

Hope you all have a great week! 

Elder Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment