Monday, February 16, 2015

Children are Alive in Christ

As always, every week is filled with so much going on it is just hard to know where to start! This week has been really good, but also very challenging. It seems that no matter what part of life we are in, there are trials. But I know they all come for a reason.

Hearing of Lucy has really saddened my day, but I know all is well. We are in the hands of the Lord constantly and He gives us agency to choose, and at times, people choose wrong and that affects people. But other times, things just happen, like with Lucy and there is nothing no one could have done better. Heavenly Father knows everything that goes on in our life and Christ has suffered for all of these moments. So I hope Amanda and Robby, and all the family can take comfort in Christ’s atonement. It is real, more real then we may ever know at times. The Lord has a plan for Lucy and I know it’s where she needs to be. You guys are the most amazing family ever, how whenever anything happens you are all together. I have always loved this scripture and I know Lucy is on the recovery and that she will do just fine, but in Moroni 8: 22 it reads:

For behold that all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all them that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, cannot repent; and unto such baptism availeth nothing—

I know all children whether in this life or the next are the ones to come are alive in Christ! That is why their testimonies are so sweet. I love you all and my prayers go out to you and Lucy.

This has also been a rough week in the mission field. Lots of people that we thought were interested but just aren’t.

So a few stories...

This week we began meeting with this man. He has a whole truck full of problems - word of wisdom, depression, suicidal, cancer most likely, you name it. But we go to his little trailer and have had a few lessons with him. He really missed his mother and so we had talked a lot about the plan of salvation with him. But then the next day we showed up and he had a friend over and was all mad and probably drunk and high and he was yelling at us and then the next second saying that he was going to come to church. We had a member with us and it was just a crazy experience. I was just trying to get out of there. My companion dubbed his trailer Uncle Tom’s cabin! Our member thought that was great and so he told his friends and wife about his experience at Uncle Tom’s cabin!

We also had a lesson with this other investigator and we were going to do the faith rocket - we call it. It is where we burn a tea bag on the persons hand and then at the last second it floats off their hand, but you have to have these special tea bags to do it. I thought we had them, but oh man was I wrong. I lit the tea bag in her hand and it went right down and burned her hand! Ahh- luckily it wasn’t too bad, but man it was funny.

Other than having all our investigators call us and say they are not interested, we had some pretty interesting lessons on Saturday. In the morning we had a lesson with a guy. it was really a miracle that we found him. I had seen him in the post office a few months ago and we just ran into him outside a members house one day and gave him a Book of Mormon. He was all excited and we got a lesson set up with him. We get to the lesson which was held at the church and we start talking and teaching and well, we find out that he has already been baptized! Like 6 years ago when he was 20, which was totally great, but just crazy because I didn’t think he was. We will still help him, but he is not an investigator anymore. Then that afternoon we had another lesson with a young guy, he is 19 and he seemed very interested and we started teaching about the restoration and gave him a Book of Mormon and he was so, so excited. And guess what? We found out he was baptized 6 years ago as well when he was 13 haha! So that was really even more frustrating, but he is a cool guy and so maybe we will take him with us to lessons. It would and it would be cool to get him on a mission. I am sure the Lord had us meet them for a reason, so we will see how that goes. At times it is hard because we want to baptize people, but reactivating someone and getting him on a mission can have an even deeper impact then I could know; it would change his life and so many others! So, I am trying to stay positive on that and praying we find more people to teach that are real investigators.

I do not know how much longer they will keep our area open as it is typically only a seasonal area because of the snow birds, and the drastically decreasing missionaries in our mission down from 250 to 180 and going down even more. We will see what the future holds in the next couple weeks. But I love this area and I love my mission. Every day is filled with a purpose and it’s the most important purpose one could have and that really motivates me. I just love the people in my area and pray and hope for them daily! I love you all and keep up your efforts to hasten the Lord’s work!

Elder Clark

 
Part of my desert golfing crew. I got a hole in one today on a par 4 - so that was really cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment